Glass Etching with Stamps, Stencils and the BIG SHOT

5/29/2009 10:10:00 PM / Posted by Heidi Bound /

My sister, Hilary, once taught a class on Glass Etching. I was so intrigued but only recently did I give it a try! One of my directs and dear friends, Jenny B, requested this class and I was thrilled. Her timing was so funny because I had already planned to add it to my list of Spring Classes!
I purchased the Etching Cream at Michaels and it tends to be expensive! I bought two jars--each was about $35 but take a coupon! The coupon certainly helped and can be found on their website and often in leading crafting magazines.
This piece first started as a plain and very inexpensive circle mirror. I used some clear stamps as well as a retired set from Stampin' Up! to make this. I simply stamped each image in Versamark and clear embossed them. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO FIRST USE THE EMBOSSING BUDDY! Once everything was heated and set, I slathered on the Etching Cream. Brace yourself...it stinks! :) After five minutes, rinse with warm water and scrape off the embossed images. I used my finger nail--it was easy under the warm water.

This was done using a stencil from Stampin' Up! I taped down the stencil and globbed on the Etching Cream. Let it sit for five minutes and then rinse! Easy!
Tomorrow (for our class) I plan to also use my BIG SHOT to make some stencils for my fabulous stampers. This way, everyone can customize their projects and take some stencils home.

I added some bling to the first piece. My plan is to add ribbon to hang this up. I want to check with Marty about the best way to add the ribbon in the back before I do it. I have a French vibe in the Mecca so I thought this would be perfect on the wall!



Here is a picture of the two pieces together! I am so thrilled with them. I still feel that they are both works in progress. My friends laugh but I often start a 3D piece and then have to sleep on it. The day always works best to finish them. If you love these, PLEASE leave a comment on my blog! Thanks and have a great crafty weekend. INKY SMILES!







Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

Jennyb on May 29, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Im so excited. That Mirror IS GORGEOUS :O) Thank you so much for doing the class. Im so looking forward to it.

Comment by Angelina on May 30, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Love it! I wanted to try etching cream....it looks beautiful! Great job!

Anonymous on May 30, 2009 at 2:50 AM

Beautiful pieces...can't wait to get in there and get messy myself! Love the new blog look, btw.
Eileen

Comment by Holly on May 30, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Such pretty stuff! If I lived in NYC, I think I would have to come get crafty with you :-)

P.S. The redesigned site is lovely. Love the photo of the bridge.

Post a Comment