Reading Reef Sign

8/26/2008 04:05:00 PM / Posted by Heidi Bound /

I had this inspiration this summer and I spent some time thinking about a cool place in my classroom for my library and where kids can go to read. I thought about a place they can "get away" in a great book. I tossed around a ton of ideas. My final two were a rainforest theme or the ocean theme. Marty said he thought I would have more fun with the ocean theme. He was right! With that theme, I needed a special nook for the library. I asked some friends for ideas of what to call the nook. My dear friend, Pat, came up with the amazing name of READING REEF. I love it!


This is the sign that evolved over the last two days. I plan to hang this right outside of the READING REEF. It is hard to describe right now...I promise to post pictures.


I put this together while I was on the phone with my friend, Carla. I said "this thing just needs something" and it did. She told me to walk away and then come back and look at it.


I am thrilled that I took Carla's advice because this is what I came up with after my lil' walk! (and, yes, Carla JUST for water...ok AND chocolate) I remembered that I had these neat satin puffy sea critters from Anna Griffin. They were one of those purchases that I loved and figured I would use "some day" on some project. I have to admit that they are perfect.

5 comments:

Comment by Carla on August 26, 2008 at 4:35 PM

I love the name Pat came up with!!! :) Very clever

Comment by Carla on August 26, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Heidi, It looks great :)

Anonymous on August 27, 2008 at 2:51 AM

At first your pictures looked like a mural of kids hands as the coral... wow, neat!

The sea critters really adds another dimension!

Have fun with your 1st graders!

Anonymous on August 27, 2008 at 6:47 AM

Gorgeous! Like I said before, those kids are lucky to have you (tell them I said so when they try to drive you nuts!)
Eileen

Anonymous on August 30, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Heidi, can't wait to see the photos--the sign is too cool. Did I see a mermaid swimming around? I bet the students will really get a kick out of it!

Post a Comment