The Beginning of my 14th year of Teaching

8/25/2008 06:38:00 PM / Posted by Heidi Bound /

I can't believe that I am about to start my 14th year of teaching. Although I have a few years under my belt, this is only the beginning of my 3rd year teaching in New York City. I taught the last two years at PS2X in the South Bronx. What an adventure it has been! This year, I am teaching 1st Grade. We officially get underway on Thursday with Professional Development but Marty and I went into school today to start setting up the room. I emailed my fabulous principal, Alexei Nichols, this morning and told her I was SCARED of all of the boxes that I knew I would encounter. She wrote back, "ha ha be in set up mode"...I knew I was in BIG trouble!


This is what my classroom looked like when Marty and I walked in the room. It wasn't quite as bad as I had imagined! Definitely LOTS to do!



This was after a lot of work. Mart and I pulled the big furniture out of the mix of stuff in the middle of the room. Things are starting to take shape.

This is the Writing Center and the Art Center (must have one of those)! Our school is covered in scaffolding right now. You can see it out of the windows!


This area will be a Math Center and the Science/Social Studies Area. I was really lucky to have lots of furniture to move around. I like using it to define areas in the classroom.


Another view...the windows are now behind me. I will update my blog each day to show you the progress of the room. I am making lots of great papercrafts to decorate this space and make it amazing for the kids. I will post those, too...after I take a nap! ha ha

1 comments:

Comment by Janet on August 25, 2008 at 9:23 PM

cute room! I can't get to school ahead of time, so I'll have to set up as I go, although I may not be in a classroom this year. Not sure yet.

I can't believe I have to get up early on Thurs. YUK!

Have a good first day

Post a Comment