My Under the Sea Classroom Theme

8/25/2008 11:18:00 PM / Posted by Heidi Bound /

To say that I am excited to teach 1st grade would be an understatement. I taught 3rd and 4th grade over the last two years. I loved my kids (I had them for both grades) but something was missing. After a ton of soul searching, I figured out that I wasn't tapping into my creativity as much as I could. Teaching upper elementary in New York City tends to put a substantial amount of focus on test prep into the daily teaching. After talking to my principal, Ms. Nichols, we decided that it would be best for me to teach a lower grade this year. A new fire ignited in me and my enthusiasm level rose a lot.

I worked on setting up my classroom today. Tonight, I have been working on the "decor" of the room. I decided to go with an ocean theme. My friend, Eileen, calls it my Under the Sea theme. Marty said I should play Little Mermaid music but that's pushing it! ha ha! I am not a fan of pre-made teacher stuff. I love when teachers make their own things as it is an opportunity for expressing creativity.

I worked tonight on the very beginnings of the decor for the Writing Center. I hope you enjoy it!


This is a 12X12 sign that will be posted at the Writing Center. I used my Cricut Expression to cut the letters. It took a lot of time but I LOVE it! I figure I spend most of my waking hours in my classroom so I should enjoy looking at it!


To go with the ocean theme, this guy will be hanging with a ribbon above the Writing Center (from the lights). He is about 12 inches in size. He has rhinestone bling eyes. My friends would expect nothing less than that (right, Carla)!

This is the start! I am excited about setting up the room and can't wait for all of the fun activites that the Under the Sea theme will bring to my lil' ones.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Comment by Janet on August 26, 2008 at 1:20 AM

cute stuff! I recognize that paper on the sign!!

Anonymous on August 26, 2008 at 2:35 AM

I love that fish in the writing center! The room is really taking shape. Those children are lucky to have you.

Comment by Carla on August 26, 2008 at 11:58 AM

No doubt!! They are very lucky!! :) I can't wait to see more pics :)

Post a Comment