Beaded Flowers by Guest Blogger Melissa

7/22/2009 10:21:00 PM / Posted by Heidi Bound /


Let me introduce a FABULOUS, creative and amazing friend--Melissa. She is a member of my downline and has her own meetup group. If you live in Brooklyn, check her out! You will love all of her creations. Melissa is also a blogger and writes about all of her wonderful creations. She is a devoted member and leader of the Gotham City Stampers Stampin' Up! Demontrator Team and is my ROOMIE for the Stampin' Up! Convention. I adore Melissa and know you will, too.

__________________________________________________________________



If you are like most people, you have never seen or heard of a French beaded flower. Beaded flowers can be used in every way you use silk or fresh flowers. The only difference is that it will be many, many years before beaded flowers deteriorate. That’s why they make great inserts in bridal bouquets, hair barrettes, napkin rings, corsages, "potted" plants, and so much more. The uses for beaded flowers are endless.

I started beading the summer of my junior year at college. I didn’t have a summer gig lined up and needed something to fill my time. I was really adventurous that summer, I decided I wanted to crotchet a twin-sized blanket and do beaded flowers all summer long, Well half way through the blanket (which is still at the same spot) I decided crocheting wasn’t for me and began making beaded flowers to pass the time. Now I bead to de-stress, and the reason? Because when you’re beading your mind can’t comprehend anything else, and by the time you get the flower completed you’re so happy nothing else matters. There is lots of counting involved in making beaded flowers, but the end results are always SO worth it.

How to make the flowers you ask?
I used tiny round seed beads, but you can also use bugle beads, which are straight-cut tubes. Cut one piece of wire for each petal (about 1 foot for the smallest petals and 1 yard for larger petals). String beads for first two rows onto wire, and center them. Send one end of the wire around and back through only the beads for the second row; pull taut. Continue adding beads and threading both ends of wire through each row. After last row, twist wire ends together.
All the stamens for one flower are threaded onto a single piece of wire (1 yard). Thread wire through beads for the base of the first stamen, and slide beads to about 5 inches from the other end. Add beads for loop, then send wire back through beads of the base; pull taut. Continue, adding stamens. After last stamen, twist wire ends together.
Start wrapping green floral tape around the stamen wires. Add petals, one at a time, wrapping stem with tape as you go. Wrap tape down the combined stems to the desired length, then trim. Shape petals with your fingers. To make a bouquet, wrap the stems of several flowers together with floral tape.


Don't be daunted by all the numbers! Beading flowers isn't hard. Just follow along, taking your time and improvising as you wish.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous on July 23, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Great tutorial, Melissa! Since whatever I see I try to make into jewelry, I have to say, I'm seeing a smaller version of one of these flowers as a pin!
And wouldn't that be fabulous?
Eileen

Patzee2000 on July 24, 2009 at 11:38 AM

What lovely creations! Melissa, I love your take on the meditation of beaded flower making.

Comment by Caren on July 25, 2009 at 5:15 AM

Beautiful flowers! I love to make these also. www.beadedgarden.com

Comment by Rosie on July 25, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Wow! Mel, those are great.

Post a Comment